This weekend Skip and I will be attending The Haunted Hairball, a fundraiser for the Caring for Cats shelter in St. Paul. We had so much fun at the event last year that we are looking forward to attending again. Like many of you, I have been to – what seems like – a kazillion fundraisers over the years, many of which were not much fun. So, I have been asking myself what makes a fundraiser fun, and this is what I came up with:
- Warm and welcoming people – at the dinner tables and around the room;
- A short and positive program that makes you laugh (and maybe even shed a few tears);
- Auction items that appeal to many folks and are within a reasonable price range;
- An atmosphere that helps you feel like you are making a difference through the money raised and the other ways you help the organization throughout the year;
- Good food and wine helps!
It is quite amazing to think about all of the shelters in and around the Twin Cities – too many to count! Skip and I have become familiar with many of them since we opened Pets Remembered two years ago and we marvel at the many, many dedicated pet lovers who open their homes and hearts to pets who need a home, whether temporarily or permanently. I am grateful for all of the shelters and the people who make them great!